Sunday, August 21, 2011

Land of Stripes Farewell

If you need to recognize where this comes from, it is not so complicated as all that. It comes from the same place that everyone has inside.
I rolled my armchair into the center of the room and sat, drunk on words. I rubbed my eyes, thought, What was it exactly that you were trying to turn off? Your tickle-response? Me? Because I cannot be turned off, no matter how hard you try. Not a switch, nothing is on-off, no binaries exist. Magnets, sure, repulsion, sure. Explosions, sure. Trembling knees. Now I am in the calm place. I have brought you here with me. Here we are, in this lower, green, mellow place. Here we can shake hands, but I am telling you, behind my calm expression there is passion. I don’t know what you can see. But I will shake your hand, I will grip your palm because in my mind we have come to an agreement. We agree that this was a fluke, that whatever brought us together (us) was simply acting out of some primal brain error that takes us to the exact person and place we should avoid, that we are adults who fully perceive this brain flaw of ours and will refrain from talking to each other because it will just remind us of what we did, and what we did was recognize something in each other, some tiny pink zebra that we both wanted to poke and prod. It was really not so bad, what we did, but there is no reason to talk about it. So I will shake your hand and put you on this raft on this nice green river. But don’t think I am going to turn the lights off, that I will stop moving once it is dark. There are all sorts of movements you cannot perceive from the raft, and you don’t know where the river is going. It is going to bend a lot. You will feel like you are going in circles. The current will be pleasant, the water smooth, so there is no reason to worry. I will stand here at the banks, trimming plants and cleaning cobwebs, taking care not to step on any minnows. The river will take you to the land of stripes, where you can exist between the colors, roll into their borders, make out a desk, an iguana, a night club of the abstract shapes. Don’t worry, I cannot reach you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home