Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pizza Woman

The sleeping heart moves through its layers of consciousness. There will be citrus later, and gruesome pizza. The news told us about a missing man. We knew the man. He had been friends with my husband when they were small. The news also told us of a woman found dead on top of a car.

It was a clear night and the front door was open. My husband was outside smoking. Everything was still until we saw the man wandering up the street. It was the missing man. He said he had a big pizza cooking and that we should go with him. He said he could go anywhere. I said I needed to use the bathroom first. I locked the door behind me. I called the police and told them the missing man was with us. I didn't want to leave the bathroom but I had to.

Time and tricks and buffalo sticks. Lots of cheese, so much cheese, and the car was red. Going back to the crime scene--they can arrest him there. His pizza woman and my dreams.

****************************

I was alone in the house, scrolling the 'net with my back to everything. I noticed someone moving around behind me, but my husband had left for work already. I turned around and saw a stranger.
"Hi," I said.
"Hi," he said back.
"Do you need something?"
"I just came in."
"This is my house." I stood up. I was wearing sweatpants and a sweater. He had a backpack, piercing blue eyes, dark blue clothing.
"Well the door was open."
I went to the kitchen. I hadn't cleaned up from breakfast yet. There were some tangerines and blood oranges on the counter. I started cleaning up peels and ran the tap.
"Do you want some citrus?" I said. I put some in a plastic produce bag for the man. "You should get out of here." I handed him the bag.
"The door was unlocked."
"There's a witch," I said. "This house is bad. Filled with her bad energy. You don't want to stay." He did not seem scared but I knew better. The witch had been protecting me since I was small. I pulled a knife out of a drawer.
"You don't want to stay here. Go outside and go for a walk. And don't come back." I held my breath until he walked out the door. Then I locked it and watched him go. I asked the witch to bless him so he would wander no more, and I breathed to his steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home